What To Do When Storms Come Pt.2
A storm by definition is a disturbance of the normal condition of the atmosphere manifesting itself by winds of unusual force and direction.
When our lives have been turned upside down by illness, financial difficulty, job loss, relational and marital problems, or some other force that upsets the normal condition of our lives, we are facing a storm.
Luke 8:22-25 NIV – One day Jesus said to his disciples, “Let us go over to the other side of the lake.” So they got into a boat and set out. 23 As they sailed, he fell asleep. A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger. 24 The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Master, Master, we’re going to drown!” He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25 “Where is your faith?” he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, “Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him.”
•Squall – a sudden violent gust of wind or a localized storm, especially one bringing rain, snow, or sleet.
Before we know it, fierce storms attempt to destroy our happiness, dreams and ultimately our lives as we struggle to stay afloat. In todays msg, we will explore how to move forward when the storms rage.
1. When you come out of the storm you won’t be the same person that walked in. That’s what the storm is all about.
2. God never leads us into a storm He doesn’t give us the power to overcome.
Your Storm is proof you have not been defeated!
2 Corinthians 4:7-9 NIV7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 8 We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9 persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
Things You Must Know During the Storm
- The Storm is not because of where you’ve been or what you’ve done, but where you are going.
Jesus said “let’s go over to the other side.” FYI – He knew about the Storm.
•Don’t ever assume God will lead you around a storm or you can avoid storms in this life
•Not all storms come because of where you’ve been or what you’ve done – But where you are going and what your going to do.
•Great resistance always proceeds great Opportunity – Satan fears where you are going and who is with you!
I Thess. 2:18 – “Therefore we wanted to come to you, even I , Paul, time and again, but Satan hindered us.
- Hindered – break up of a road to make it impassable for travelers.
- Result – Travelers trip hindered, delayed, postponed or inconvenienced.
- Paul Never Stopped! Keep walking! Refuse to be dominated by the enemy!
•Your storm is Satan’s desperation to stop.
•Your greatest breakthrough comes from your greatest storm
- God anticipated these Storms and is with you!
- Isaiah 43:2 NIV– When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
Faith does not mean trusting God to stop the storm, but trusting Him to be with us as we walk through the storm.
Psalm 23:4 NIV “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
When we’re in a storm, we want an explanation from God, but instead we’re given the Presence of God.
Psalm 138:7-8 NIV – Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me. The Lord will vindicate me; your love, Lord, endures forever do not abandon the works of your hands.
Though your storms maybe planned by Hell, your Victory is planned by Heaven!
- The Storm may not be your choice, but surviving it is!
- John 16:33 AMP – “ I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have [perfect] peace. In the world you have tribulation and distress and suffering, but be courageous [be confident, be undaunted, be filled with joy]; I have overcome the world.” [My conquest is accomplished, My victory abiding.]
- I John 5:4 NIV – for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith
- Overcomes – (gk-nikos) – To Conquer, champion of the games
- Romans 8:28-39 NIV 31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. 34 Who then is the one who condemns? No one. Christ Jesus who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? 36 As it is written:“For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”[b]37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[c] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Gk- Hyper nikos – more than, over, above and beyond, greater, top notch, 1st class, paramount, overwhelming, enourmous
- THiS IS OUR POSITION IN THE STORM!
- Your Storm is always for a reason and your Storm is only for a Season
“No faith is as precious as that which lives and triumphs in adversity.”
~ Charles Spurgeon
“A smooth sea, never made a skillful mariner. neither does uninterrupted prosperity and success qualify for usefulness and happiness.”
- II Corinthians 4:17-18 NIV- For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
John Calvin said, “Whatever sort of tribulation or storm we suffer, we should always remember that its purpose is to make us spurn the present and reach out to the future.”
- Luke 22:31-32 NIV “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. 32 But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.”
- Sometimes the very things that we fight against are actually the hand of God trying to push us into a new season.
- I Peter 1:6-8 NIV – 6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8 Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy
Your faith is to be genuine because it has been tested and proved during the storm to be the real thing. Storms give you a certificate of authenticity.
A diamond isn’t formed at room temperature.
Fine porcelain isn’t shaped in a pleasant climate.
Gold and silver aren’t refined in a refrigerator.
Precious things come through pressure, trial, and fire.
Storms take us into the distant land of precious things.
A faith that’s challenged by adversity or storms is often a stronger faith in the end
The Way To Endure the Storm
1 Corinthians 10:13 Message “No test or temptation that comes your way is beyond the course of what others have had to face. All you need to remember is that God will never let you down; he’ll never let you be pushed past your limit; he’ll always be there to help you come through it.”
1. Cry out to God.
Psalm 18:6 NIV “In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.”
Psalm 121:1-2 NLT “I look up to the mountains—does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth!”
1 John 5:14-15 NIV “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us–whatever we ask–we know that we have what we asked of him.”
2. Reestablish God’s place in your life.
It is to your advantage to become settled and fixed on the Word of God so that the floods and storms of life will not shake you.
Matthew 7:24-27 NIV “24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
Galatians 2:20 NIV “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
3. Get Tough and Hold on during the Storm
Psalm 16:8 NIV – I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
Ephesians 6:10-12 NIV “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
I Timothy 1:18-20 NIV – 18 Timothy, my son, I am giving you this command in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by recalling them you may fight the battle well, 19 holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith. 20 Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.
Holding – Kutecheo: To hold on with a firm grip; Desperate hold.
Floods will come to your life. Storms will beat against you. You can get hammered by a situation mentally, emotionally, spiritually, domestically, relationally, financially, until you feel like you cannot stand. You can be under attack and discouraged. You have have lost your way and the spirit of faith has been beat our of you because of the storm…..You can make it! You can stand and not be moved!
Psalm 55:22 ESV – Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.