“How to Become an Effective, Life Giving Team Leader”
2 Timothy 1:13-14 What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you—guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.
Pastors, we must be keepers of the culture. If we are weak on our culture, others will come in and define it for us. Therefore we have the God given responsibility to set the culture.
Culture – Predominating attitudes and behaviors that characterizes the function of the organization.
GOAL – Life Giving Culture
John 10:10 NIV – The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life,and have it to the full.
Some of Our Culture Attitudes at GraceTown….
- Serving – Everyone should be serving somewhere, if not they are not on the map
Churches have barriers to growth – 100, 200, 500, 800, 1000. Although each barrier is unique, there are 3 key factors that apply to every barrier we will face as a church.
1. Inspiring and consistently excellent worship services
•Our services are WELL PLANNED, but feel FLEXIBLE and UNRUSHED. They are upbeat but relaxed.
•We only have 52 Sunday’s a year and every single one needs to count!
2. Clear pathways to Connection and involvement
3. Effective and life giving Structure and administration
Don’t be afraid to lead – rid yourself of the thinking that you are inadequate or unqualified.
Leadership is Influence – John Maxwell
Our day today is an emotionally charged, overweight burden down society that needs LIFE, from life giving leadership!
What Life Giving Leadership Is:
A. Leadership is not a project, leadership is a spirit. People don’t need a position to be a leader.
B. Leadership must give encouragement and confidence
C. Joshua’s Leadership Training –
Joshua 1:9 – “Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid, do not be dismayed.”
•God was focusing on Joshua’s spirit before the task.
D. For God to get us to where he would like us to be, He needs us to realize our leadership is more about a spirit than a task. Be strong, inspired, and full of courage, life and purpose. Life Giving Leadership
•Leadership is more than information, communication, and projects. Leadership is spirit
•Remember this – “Your Leadership can be something that people have to overcome, or something that helps people overcome.” – Kevin Gerald
F. It should cause people to lighten up
- When the life of God is flowing, there should be lots of smiling and laughing. (Seattle fish market – a fun place to work)
G. Life Giving leadership is positive and inspiring –
Proverbs 16:15 (message) says, “Good tempered leaders invigorate lives; they’re life spring rain and sunshine.”
H. We will not resort to a negative, forceful, or whiney approach to motivate. This leads to immaturity.
I. To be an effective leader – STAY POSITIVE.
J. Leaders are like an elevator – you are either taking people up or taking them down. Make a decision to take people up!’
Life Giving Leaders are…
1. Life Giving leaders are always growing and reaching to improve their leadership. Take responsibility for your own failures as well as successes. If you keep learning, you will improve, and your leadership will get better.
2. Life Giving leaders are pushing the boundary lines to move beyond what is normal or usual. Leaders are pioneers. They venture into unexplored territory and guide to new and often unfamiliar destinations.
3. Life Giving leaders are risk-takers. They reject the maintenance mentality and take risks from strength, preparing thoroughly, understanding what is at stake, and marching forward with confidence. It is never too late to be what you might have become!
4. Life Giving leaders are resource finders and releasers. They have built a leadership pipeline that finds potential leaders, trains them, and releases them to greater levels of ministry.
5. Life Giving leaders are future-focused and dedicated to do whatever it takes to get there. Their faith capacity has increased to believe that God will provide all that is necessary as the need arises. Their people capacity is increased so that getting along with and caring for people is at the leader’s heart.
Our Commitment each Sunday
Remember Team – It’s a Privilege and opportunity to serve. It’s never asking too much of people to serve.
1. Each person I encounter today is loved by God & needs to feel special.
2. I need to make a personal impact through a smile, a word of kindness or an act of love.
3. I will remember what it feels like to be new.
4. My responsibility is not simply to carry out a task but to engage each person individually.
5. I am vitally important to impacting lives today.
6. I will be in a great mood on Sundays & will not let anyone or anything Hijack my great mood
7. I will be ready to meet any need that arises
8. I will have a sense of responsibility for everything that happens on Sunday
9. I will focus on People and processes
10. During service I will be alert, take notes & be an example in Worship